My research interest centers around the application and development of tools for the analysis of sequencing data. A special emphasis of my work is in genomics and the work with single-cell sequencing data.
For my master thesis I'm working with Stephan Tirier on using Single Cell RNAseq data to understand different molecular aspects of Multiple Myeloma. We aim to unravel cellular interactions between Multiple Myeloma and the microenvironment. Additionally we want to map cellular states of Myeloma cells to a developmental B-cell stage of healthy cells derived from the Human Cell Atlas.
- 04/2018 - 05/2019 Research internship: In the lab of Nina Cabezas-Wallscheid I helped develop a protocol and an analysis workflow to understand the effects of Vitamin-A depletion of cell-type abundance in the bone marrow niche and the LSK department with the help of 10X single-cell RNAseq.
Cabezas-Wallscheid Lab - Max Planck Institute for Immunobiology and Epigenetics
- 03/2017 - 09/2017 Research internship: Together with Peter Kharchenko I worked on various methods to analyse single-cell RNAseq datasets. I worked on unraveling cellular signalling in scRNAseq, worked on the development of PAGODA2 and applied RNA velocity.
Kharchenko Lab - Harvard Medical School
- 11/2016 - 03/2017 Research internship: At the Furlong lab I analysed the Relation of DNase Hypersensitivity Sites and activity annotated CRMs on the drosophila genome Supervised by James Reddington and Charles Girardot.
Furlong Lab - EMBL Heidelberg
- 05/2016 - 11/2016 Research internship: In the intelligent imaging group, supervised by Stephan Tirier and Christian Conrad. I worked on dissecting tumor heterogeneity of single-cell RNAseq data with scde and PAGODA.
eilslabs - DKFZ Heidelberg
- 10/2015 - 2020 Master in Molecular Biotechnology with specialisation in bioinformatics
- 03/2015 - 08/2015 Bachelor Thesis: Correlating Methylation and Expression in different Genomic Contexts Research group Computational Oncology. Supervised by Naveed Ishaque, Matthias Schlesner and Carl Herrmann.
eilslabs - DKFZ Heidelberg
- 10/2012 - 09/2015 Bachelor in Molecular Biotechnology with specialisation in bioinformatics
Tirier, S. M., Park, J., Preußer, F., Amrhein, L., Gu, Z., Steiger, S., Mallm, J.-P., Krieger, T., Waschow, M., Eismann, B., Gut, M., Gut, I. G., Rippe, K., Schlesner, M., Theis, F., Fuchs, C., Ball, C. R., Glimm, H., Eils, R., and Conrad, C. (2019). Pheno-seq - linking visual features and gene expression in 3D cell culture systems. Scientific Reports 9
DKFZ & BioQuant Center
Division of Chromatin Networks
Im Neuenheimer Feld 267-BQ24
BioQuant room 641
Fax: +49 6221 54 51487
e-mail: s.steiger (at) dkfz.de